Friday, May 04, 2012

A quote...

One you could only get from Dr.John Burchard. A friend on our Asia canine list mentioned letting salukis sleep in the bed, as even Arabs once did a generation ago, when salukis were not dogs.

"If the bed is big,", she asked, "why not? They make such good sleeping companions."

He replied: "That's what we did in Saudi Arabia, where you can go down to the market and have a mattress made to any size you want - and cheaply at that. We had one made big enough to accommodate everyone - myself, my wife, a few Salukis, three or four cats and a wolf."

UPDATE: When John heard that I posted this he replied: "We also had a free flying cockatoo (Greater Sulfur-crest) who ruled the roost in that house. When he thought it was time for people to get up he would fly into the bedroom and start pinching any toes that protruded from under the duvet. Very effective!" And they call Casa Q a zoo...

2 comments:

A. Lane Batot said...

I tend to let new puppies sleep with me--easier to wake up(if you are attuned to such things) to get them out to pee-pee before boo-boos are made. A great bonding thing, and prevents stress and whining those first few nights. My Saluki I had awhile back, my GIANT desert bred Saluki(31 inches at the withers! That's more like a wolfhound height!) grew up sleeping in my bed with me. But I have a small twin bed, and one night after SimSek(the Saluki)had reached maturity, he braced his feet against the wall(which the bed was nestled against), and bodily pushed me completely OUT of the bed! Needless to say, he was BANNED from MY bed after that stunt! But I got him another(yes, his OWN twin bed!) And Steve, your emphasis on a wolf in the bed made it seem like you think that might be a bit odd? What's strange about that? All my wolf-hybrids grew up sleeping in my beds, too! They were actually more respectful of my space than the Saluki!

Retrieverman said...

I've noticed in accounts and even youtube videos that Arabs like to keep Arabian wolves as pets.

Adam Boyko and his brother found a wolf living in Syria that was being kept as a guard dog in a home with several other dogs.