Saturday, May 18, 2013

Friends & Family, Music & Words, Past & Present



Everything seems to come around again. Last week, Tom Russell and his sideman Thad Beckmann played at Passim, a cellar room in Harvard square where I heard the likes of Ian Tyson as far back as 1966, when it was the legendary Club 47.

My sister Karen Graham, here with Tom, her husband George, and Tom's wife Nadine, remembers my going there when she was a child, and the little printed ad sheets I used to keep under the glass of my desktop when I was still in high school.

Bronwen Fullington, a friend since '68 or so,  saw the other pic and said "It hasn't  changed a bit since then!" Looks like the same old tiny cellar...

Tom may be as good a writer of words as songs. Buy his book, with all the lyrics and tons of anecdote and history.






No comments: