Friday, January 31, 2014

Pigeons

The rarest living pigeon, the tooth- billed,  has been photographed in Samoa.
It is better than the previous image, from Wiki, though still hard to interpret.

These are the only photos, ever, as far as I know. I would be happy to know I was wrong. Here is a nice Gould, not from life.

Its nearest relative might be the extinct dodo . I have just finished an essay for Living Bird on the most enigmatic & iconic un- pigeonly pigeons.  In it, I conclude that this Mogul version done in 1625 is the only one drawn from life.

2 comments:

Moro Rogers said...

In the Mogul painting I recognize the dodo and the tragopan. And some kind of parrot. Dunno what those other birds are, but I envy the painter.=p

Steve Bodio said...

Sandgrouse (which you probably know are more like pigeons) and pygmy geese, all realistic