Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Our New Friend

You may recall I posted in January about the search the Connie and I made for an Australian Shepherd puppy. With Matt's discussion about the whippet puppy that his family is getting, I thought I would bring you up to date.

On February 4, we brought the female puppy home that I pictured in the post. After much discussion and after trying out some other names, we decided to name her Sadie.



In Aussie parlance, Sadie is officially a blue merle, though she doesn't have nearly as much gray in her coat as most do.


Sadie is very much a mama's girl and has formed a special bond with Connie. She is proving to be a very intelligent and affectionate dog. The flip side of her intelligence is that she is somewhat of a "willful child" but she is training well and finding a place in our family.

She is also forming a bond with our seven year-old Lab, Maggie. Maggie ignored Sadie for the first four days after she arrived, then I guess decided she wasn't going away and started playing with her. So Maggie is now teaching her things.

Like that tug of war is a fun game.


The little guy gets to get on top and yank on an ear sometimes.


Communal naps when you're worn out from playing are a good thing.

Of course, Maggie also taught Sadie how to dig - but I guess a dog's got to be a dog.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

What a beautiful puppy! We've had our pug for four months and he's another wilful child; I think it goes with intelligence. I didn't remember how challenging puppies are. All the dogs of my youth grew up outside and in the barn. This is all new for me. I can never go without a dog again! Good luck with Sadie, she's very sweet.