Thursday, June 14, 2007

McLoughlin!

My old friend John McLoughlin, zoologist, evolutionist, novelist, and artist, came down to visit from his hideout in the northern mountains to visit Magdalena (always referred to as "Down Among the Wild Men") for the first time in 23 years. He brought his three daughters and his grandson, and a fine time was had by all.



Some of his splendid books can be found here. Among my favorites are Archosauria, The Canine Clan, and the novels Toolmaker Koan and The Helix and the Sword.

We posed for nostalgia's and history's sake with copies of our first books, my Rage for Falcons and his The Animals Among Us.


We plan further zoological and geological expeditions later this year. As he says:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Down Among the Wild Men" has always been a favorite of mine. One of the regrets of my grad school career at University of Colorado was that I was never able to take a course from John Greenway. The whole time I was there he was out on medical leave - in a mental hospital, if memory serves. I also really liked "The American Tradition: A Gallery of Rogues" an early jab at PC. Have you read it?

Heidi the Hick said...

All I can think is...what a great looking bunch of characters!!!