Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Mammoth Tracks

I got my January issue of American Antiquity in today's mail and it has a very interesting article entitled "Late Pleistocene Horse Hunting at the Wally's Beach Site (DhPg-8), Canada." It's written by B. Kooyman, L.V. Hills, P. NcNeil and S. Tolman and describes a Clovis age (11,300 - 11,000 BP) site on a riverbank in Alberta that gives direct evidence of Pleistocene horse (Equus conversidens) hunting and butchering. This is a very interesting development as we have many Clovis kill sites for bison, mammoth and mastodon but I believe this may be the first horse kill site.

I intend to post more on this once I've had a chance to read and understand it better, but I did want to share this cool "bonus" photo of mammoth tracks that accompanied it. Apparently the site is located in a river access point where Pleistocene mammals came down to water. In addition to the mammoth tracks they also saw those of camel, caribou, and bison.

Nice to think of camels in Alberta isn't it?

1 comment:

Mary Strachan Scriver said...

Alberta may not be what camels are longing to think of. It's coming up twenty below farenheit right now.

When I see dino tracks it always looks to me as though Big Bird has wandered through. The juxtaposition of Big Bird and a dino in a storybook might be very interesting.

Prairie Mary